Dymond Shop Fittings 01271 372662 | info@dymondshopfittings.co.uk

Retail sales continued to climb in September

While the media seemed intent on whipping us all into a frenzy of worry about the UK’s future trading relationship with Europe, and by extension the nation’s economic prospects as a whole, the nation’s citizens continued to shop as eagerly as ever.  As our business at Dymond Shopfittings is focused on designing and fabricating bespoke metal display solutions for shopfitters, retail designers and store owners we are delighted to report that the latest figures from the British Retail Consortium (BRC) and KPMG showed the retail sector continuing to thrive.

Strong sales in September

The BRS and KPMG report reveals that UK retail sales increased by 1.9% on a like-for-like basis from September 2016, when they had increased 0.4% from the preceding year.  Total sales climbed by 2.3%.

Over the three months to September, food sales increased 2.5% on a like-for-like basis and 3.5% on a total basis. This remains above the 12-month total average growth of 2.9%, the highest 12-month average since August 2013.  Clothing sales have also been healthy, buoyed by back to school purchases.

A double pat on the back for retailers

Helen Dickinson OBE, Chief Executive of the British Retail Consortium commented that “September saw a second consecutive month of relatively good sales growth which should indicate welcome news for retailers and the economy alike.”  She added that “Retailers have worked hard to keep a lid on price rises following the depreciation of the pound.”  Looking at the figures more closely she highlights the fact that “From a consumer perspective, spending is still being focussed towards essential purchases; with consumers buying their winter coats and back to school items, but shying away from big ticket items such as furniture and delaying the renewal of key household electrical goods.”

Paul Martin, Head of Retail at KPMG UK is similarly upbeat, commenting that
“September’s performance will have left many retailers with smiles on their faces, with sales up 1.9 per cent on a like-for-like basis, compared to last year.  Children’s clothing clearly hit the mark as one of the leading categories in the month, whilst the August bank holiday and favourable autumnal weather lent a helping hand to non-food sales. Grocers will also be feeling the warmth having performed particularly well, as food and drink remains in high demand with shoppers – although food price inflation continues to be a key driver of this growth.”

It all bodes well for Christmas

As we enter the busiest shopping months of the year it’s essential for retailers to ignore the wider political and economic distractions and focus on the opportunities provided by the run up to Christmas.  As these recent figures show consumer demand is proving surprisingly resilient in these otherwise uncertain times – so you need to be doing you utmost to maximise your share of the market.

Despite the increasing variety of ways in which it is now possible to purchase items something like 90% of shopping is still done in bricks and mortar stores rather through some kind of digital channel.  This means that creating an inviting in-store experience that is conducive to encouraging purchases is still very much a priority.  There are many elements that all have their part to play, from great customer service, a pleasant shopping atmosphere, cutting edge in-store technology or an enjoyable checkout experience, but retailers need to look at all angles to find something that differentiates them from their competitors and makes a trip into their store more inviting than simply shopping online.

At Dymond Shopfitting we can help by creating bespoke metal shop fittings and well-designed retail displays.  What’s more our expert value engineering specialists will show you ways to achieve bespoke solutions that not only work effectively but which are economical to produce.  We’d love to share our specialist retail design and fabricating experience with you so give us a call when you are ready!

 

Dymond Shop Fittings

Dymond Engineering and Metal Products Ltd
Combrew Lane
Barnstaple
Devon EX31 2ND

Tel: 01271 372662
Fax: 01271 322077
Email: info@dymondshopfittings.co.uk

Map Location

Testimonials

"For more than 20 years Dymond have supplied us with innovative solutions at competitive prices, often within tight time scales."
Steve Rumsey, Railston Design

Read more

Quick Contact

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Subject